- Little Rock makes it easy to design your own custom roll labels with free Canva templates. Create a free account and choose our Rectangle Labels template to get started with most roll label designs.
- Use Canva’s intuitive tools to add images and content to your labels, then adjust fonts and stylistic elements to keep them consistent with your branding. Consider upgrading to Canva Pro for extra control over design elements.
- After designing your labels in Canva, submit your files to Little Rock for professional printing. Our in-house printing services, custom order sizes with no minimums, and guaranteed timelines make us your ideal print partner for these important products.
Labels help your products pop, so it’s important to design them carefully. Here at Little Rock Printing, we’ve created this guide to walk you through the process of designing custom roll labels in Canva so you can print them professionally with our help and send products to market that represent your business at its best.
Starting Out with Canva
If you haven’t used Canva to design a print product before, no worries! It’s easy (and free) to get started. Just create your account here by clicking the “Sign Up” button in the upper-right corner.
Step 1: Choose Your Template
Little Rock offers free Canva templates for labels and stickers in the following shapes:
Most of the time, you’ll want to choose rectangle labels if you’re planning to print roll labels, as their shape will result in the smallest amount of wasted material and make your rolls more cost-effective.
All of our templates have pre-set sizes (our template for rectangle labels is 4” x 6”), but you can adjust the size if you have a Canva Pro account. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click the “Magic Switch” button near the top of the screen to see a list of resize options.
- Scroll down and click “Custom Size” to add your own dimensions to the template.
For Best Results
- Prepare the content and images for your labels in advance to save time.
- If you want more control over your design, consider upgrading to Canva Pro for access to premium features.
Step 2: Add Custom Images
Every Canva template comes with stock images, so you’ll want to delete these by right-clicking them and clicking “delete”. Then click the “Uploads” tab on the left of the screen to:
- Drag and drop files from your desktop.
- Import files from the cloud.
- Port in visuals from apps like Google Drive, Dropbox, Facebook, and Instagram.
For Best Results
- Make sure all raster images have resolutions of 300 dpi or better.
- Use vector images where possible to keep them scalable.
- Choose images that align with your current branding and style.
Step 3: Add Content to Your Labels
Arrange your visuals on the template and replace the placeholder text with your own, adding or removing text boxes as required.
For Best Results
- Remember the information that needs to be on your labels (i.e. product name, brand logo, expiration dates if applicable, etc.).
- Leave enough white space in your design so that text doesn’t feel too crowded.
- Keep images simple but punchy—your logo will usually be the most prominent element of any roll label, while the rest of the design should be quite simple in order to focus the viewer’s attention.
- Remember: roll labels usually go all the way around products like bottles or jars. Plan out what information you want on the front of the product and what information would be better on the side of the design (like nutrition information or directions for use).
Step 4: Customize Fonts & Other Stylistic Elements
You get lots of different font options with Canva, so feel free to experiment and see what works best for your design! Just click any text box to see a font menu with different options appear.
For Best Results
- Make sure all fonts are legible and large enough to read—but keep longer blocks of text relatively small to prevent the design from feeling crowded.
- Make sure all fonts are in colours that stand out from their background so viewers won’t have to squint.
- Aim for colours and font choices that match your current branding to preserve continuity.
Step 5: Download & Submit Your Label Design to Little Rock
Once your design is finished, take these steps to prep it for printing:
- Go to “Share” in the upper right corner.
- Select “Download” from the dropdown menu.
- Choose “PDF Print” under “File Type.”
- Include “Crop marks and bleeds.”
- Choose “Flatten PDF”.
- Opt for “CMYK” under “Colour Profile.”
- Click the “Download” button.
Let Little Rock Be Your Partner in Label Printing
Making labels for your business is easy when you have the right tools at your disposal, and we’re here to provide you with them! Use this guide to set yourself up for success designing labels your customers will love, then send them to us to print them and bring them to life.
For more information about printing with Little Rock, contact our team and speak with an expert—or check out the FAQ section below. Together, we can create incredible labels that stick in everyone’s minds.
Frequently Asked Questions about Designing & Printing Roll Labels
Why print my roll labels with Little Rock Printing?
At Little Rock, we:
- Print everything ourselves in our Calgary print shop. Your labels don’t get outsourced and we personally oversee their printing to ensure their quality and accuracy.
- Don’t have minimum order sizes. You can print a single sticker or an entire warehouse of roll labels—it’s up to you!
- Let you customize to your heart’s content. Want special shapes for your labels? Custom sizes? Just let us know; we’re here to help.
What finish should I use when printing my labels?
Little Rock offers the following finish options for all roll labels:
- Gloss laminated: Protects the graphics of your design while adding shine.
- Matte laminated: Protects the graphics while adding a smooth and subtle appearance.
- Unfinished: Appropriate for temporary labels on items that aren’t customer-facing.
How much does it cost to print roll labels with Little Rock Printing?
Our prices depend on the number of labels you order, their size and properties, and when you need them. Check out the chart on our Roll Labels page for accurate pricing.
How long does label printing take at Little Rock Printing?
We offer timelines ranging from 1-5 business days. Just specify your preferred date when placing your order, and we’ll ensure your roll labels are ready by then.
Can you design my roll labels for me?
We don’t offer in-house design services, but our templates and this guide can help you design your roll labels quickly and easily. Once you’ve finished your design, we can handle the printing and ensure the finished product is exactly what you want.
Can I use custom fonts or brand colours for my labels?
Canva Pro lets you upload your own fonts and use a colour wheel to perfect your design. When submitting your design files, make sure you provide any specific colour codes used so we can make sure they’re accurate in the final product.
Can I get a proof before my labels are printed?
Yes! We offer free proofs for all of our print products. To receive a preview of how your roll labels will look when printed, order a single unit and use the code “FREEPROOF” at checkout. Once you review the proof and approve it, we’ll go ahead with the rest of your order.