- High-quality booklets make excellent product catalogues, presentations, and promotional materials at conferences or trade-shows.
- Canva contains many different free and paid booklet templates that you can explore after signing up for an account. Once you’ve chosen a template, be sure to reformat the margins of your document so that you can be sure it’s the right size for printing.
- Replace the images, text, and fonts in the template with your own information—then download it as a flattened PDF with crop marks and bleeds, using the CMYK colour profile if possible.
- Send your print-ready design to our team and Little Rock will have it ready for you in 1-5 business days, depending on the timeline you specify when placing your order.
High-quality custom booklets make an ideal way to showcase products and services, present polished project proposals, or tell the story of your organization at conferences and other events. Booklets also provide your audience with a piece of your business—more tangible than a digital ad, and more substantial than a business card or brochure.
Below, Little Rock Printing guides you through the steps involved in creating and printing booklets that make your business shine. Find the right template, create a gorgeous layout with custom fonts and images, and then send your design to us for fast, professional printing.
Starting with Canva
Canva remains a popular choice for designing print materials of all kinds, thanks to its user-friendly interface and generous set of features. If you haven’t tried out Canva yet, now’s the perfect time to start!
In addition to booklets, Canva can help you design an array of other promotional materials, including posters and flyers. Visit Canva.com to create your account and click the “Sign Up” button in the top right corner.
Step 1: Find Your Booklet Template
Little Rock prints booklets in three sizes:
- Standard Size: For portrait-oriented designs up to 9×12” (finished size).
- Oversize: For booklets larger than 9” wide when finished, including landscape-style designs.
- Half-Size: For booklets with a finished size under 6×9”.
We don’t currently have our own Canva templates for booklets, but it’s easy to find them! Just go to Canva and type “Booklets” into the search bar—then click the “Templates” tab to find one you want to use as the foundation for your design!
Next, adjust the margins in the document to make sure it fits one of the formats above. To do this:
- Click the “Resize” menu in the top-left corner of your screen and enter your chosen dimensions.
- Click “File” > “View Settings” > “Show Rulers & Guides” for a more precise view of how the elements of your design line up with each other.
For Best Results
- Prepare your booklet’s content and images in advance to streamline the design process.
- If you’re planning an extensive project, consider upgrading to Canva Pro for access to even more premium features.
Step 2: Add Custom Images
The Canva template you’ve chosen will come with stock images, but replacing them with your own is easy. Delete any pre-existing visual elements by right-clicking them and choosing “delete.” Then, go to the “Uploads” tab on the left panel, where you can:
- Drag files into the upload section.
- Import from cloud storage.
- Bring them in from apps like Google Drive, Dropbox, Facebook, and Instagram.
For Best Results
- Use high-resolution for all raster images (ideally at 300 dpi or higher).
- Use vector images for scalability when possible.
- Choose photos and illustrations that fit your brand’s aesthetic and message.
Step 3: Edit Your Booklet’s Content
Replace the placeholder text in the template with your own content. Customize headlines, body text, and captions to align with your specific message. Add or remove text boxes as needed.
For Best Results
- Use your cover page to display a compelling headline and key brand information.
- Add a table of contents on the second page to help readers navigate the content more efficiently.
- Organize the rest of the booklet into sections—for example, if your booklet is a product catalogue, you’ll probably want to have different sections for each collection or product category.
- Use a visual hierarchy to make the most important information on each page prominent and immediate. Arrange the contents of each page by asking yourself what the reader needs to see next in order to remain engaged.
- Keep content blocks tight and focused—break up long paragraphs into smaller ones so readers don’t get fatigued.
- Consider adding page numbers to help readers find specific sections of the booklet more easily.
Step 4: Customize Fonts & Other Stylistic Elements
Canva offers tons of different font options, so you’ll have plenty of stylistic flexibility! Simply click on any text element, and a font menu will appear at the top so that you can choose the font that suits your booklet best.
For Best Results
- Use highly legible fonts that complement your design.
- Use contrasting colours for text and backgrounds to improve readability.
- Choose colours and textures that match your existing branding.
- Maintain design consistency by using no more than 2-3 fonts throughout the booklet.
Step 5: Download & Submit Your Print-Ready Booklet Design
Once you’re pleased with your booklet design, follow these steps to prepare it for printing:
- Go to “Share” in the upper right corner.
- Select “Download” from the dropdown menu.
- Choose “PDF Print” under “File Type.”
- Include “Crop marks and bleeds.”
- Choose “Flatten PDF”.
- Opt for “CMYK” under “Colour Profile.”
- Click the “Download” button.
Printing Exceptional Booklets with Little Rock Printing
Designing and printing a booklet doesn’t have to be complicated. With Canva’s user-friendly design platform and Little Rock Printing’s reliable services, creating a professional-looking booklet is easy. Contact our team for more details, and check out the FAQ section below to get answers to the questions people ask most often!
Frequently Asked Questions about Designing & Printing Booklets
How do I add page numbers to my booklet in Canva?
The easiest way to add page numbers to your booklet design in Canva is by adding a small text box to each page and simply typing the page number into it. Make sure to use the same font and size for all page numbers to keep them consistent throughout, and use Canva’s snap feature to make sure the numbers are in the same place on every page.
What kind of paper should I print my booklet on?
We offer a wide range of different paper and finish types. The best way to know which ones will be best for your booklet is to order a free sample kit from Little Rock so that you can see and feel every option up close and choose the best one for your needs.
How should I design my booklet’s cover?
Every cover design is different, but here are a few of our top tips for success:
- Avoid clutter: white space is important on cover pages—you want to guide readers to look at the most important information, so don’t make the rest of the design too busy!
- Prioritize key info: Make a hierarchy for the different elements on your cover and rank them by order of importance. Then, use that order to determine the size and prominence of each element—the title will likely be the largest thing on the page, whereas your logo should be noticeable but can probably be more modest (unless you’re a particularly famous brand).
- Balance the layout: Avoid putting too many elements on one part of the page and leaving awkward spaces elsewhere. If you still have a large region with neutral colours, try using vibrant colours in a smaller area nearby to create contrast and make it look deliberate.
How much does it cost to print booklets with Little Rock Printing?
Our custom booklets start at just $5.93, but the final cost depends on a number of different factors—including paper type, number of pages, quantity, and size. Check out our Booklets page for accurate pricing.
How long does booklet printing take at Little Rock Printing?
We offer timelines ranging from 1-5 business days. Just specify your preferred date when placing your order, and we’ll ensure your booklets are ready by then.
Can you design my booklets for me?
While we don’t offer in-house design services, this guide makes designing your own booklets as easy as possible. Once you’ve finished your design, we take care of the printing part to make sure you can get the product you want as smoothly as possible.
What if I want to use custom fonts and colours specific to my brand?
No problem! With Canva Pro, you can upload your own fonts and utilize an advanced colour wheel for brand-specific matching. When submitting your design, please be sure to provide any specific colour codes you use to ensure consistency when printed.
Can I get a proof before my booklets are printed?
Yes! We offer free proofs for all of our print products. To receive a preview of how your final printed booklet will look, order a single unit and use the code “FREEPROOF” at checkout. Once you review the proof and approve it, just send us the rest of your order and we’ll take care of it!